Gaze

 I’m a definitions girl. I need to see it, understand it, know it. I’ve been thinking a lot about fixing my gaze on Jesus as of late. To lock eyes and let the rest fade. To be focused where it matters. 


gaze

 noun

\ ˈgāz

a fixed intent look


Initially I started this post when life just seemed a little stagnant or rudimentary and I needed to focus in. And now as I’ve come back to it, there’s a recognition once again to look to Jesus. You may have heard it as He is all we need; which is true. But greater still, He can be counted on, through all your days. Intent, grasping, clinging. Fixed. An anchor for the soul. Hope. Trust. He is in control. And as I look to Jesus, I bring him my teary eyes, my unknowns, my everything. And He meets me there. 


I love silhouettes. I love watching sunsets. Initially you can see everything in golden hour color, then steadily definition and color begins to fade and all else turns black in contrast with the reds and purples and yellows on the horizon. It’s a display of artistry and it doesn’t matter because when we fix our gaze on it, it becomes all that we can see. And the same is true of the darkness. When we focus on the darkness, it becomes all that we can see. Maybe when we fix our eyes on Jesus it’s all that we can choose to see too?  


Just as Jonah before he was spit out of the mouth of the whale, chose to focus on praise. It’s actually said that he brought it as a sacrifice. His thanksgiving was offered as sacrifice. He was worthy. Even then. Especially then. Maybe in the midst of turmoil, our fixing our gaze on Jesus’ face can be that same act of worship. The author and perfecter who writes our faith stories holds our hearts (Heb. 12:2-3). As the words that were penned long before I came to be say: Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim. In the light of His glory and grace. 


He’ll do it for you too, friend. 

Comments

Popular Posts